Connect with us

Entertainment

Read Now: Should BTS members be exempt from military service? South Korea may ask public – 101 Latest News

Published

on

Should BTS members be exempt from military service? South Korea may ask public

#BTS #members #exempt #military #service #South #Korea #public

South Korea may conduct a public survey to help determine whether to grant exemptions to mandatory military service to members of the K-pop boyband BTS, officials said Wednesday.

The issue of active military service for the band’s seven members has been a hot-button topic in South Korea because its oldest member, Jin, faces enlistment in December, when he turns 30.

Defense Minister Lee Jong-sup told lawmakers that he ordered officials to implement a survey quickly. He said his ministry will also look into various other factors such as BTS’s economic impact, the importance of military service and overall national interest.

Read more:

BTS announces indefinite hiatus as members pursue solo projects

Read More

  • BTS announces indefinite hiatus as members pursue solo projects

After his comments created a stir, his ministry clarified in a statement that Lee ordered officials to examine whether such a survey is needed, rather than launch it immediately.

Story continues below advertisement

It said officials were asked to study details including which agency would be responsible for a survey, how long would it take and who exactly would be surveyed. The statement said if the survey is carried out, it will be done by a third organization, not by the ministry or related authorities, to ensure fairness.

The ministry said the results would be only one of the many factors determining BTS members’ military status.


Click to play video: 'George Floyd protests: K-Pop superstars BTS donate $1 million to Black Lives Matter'







George Floyd protests: K-Pop superstars BTS donate $1 million to Black Lives Matter


George Floyd protests: K-Pop superstars BTS donate $1 million to Black Lives Matter – Jun 7, 2020

By law, all able-bodied men in South Korea must serve 18-21 months in the military under a conscription system established to deal with threats from rival North Korea. But the country gives exemption to athletes, classical and traditional musicians, and ballet and other dancers who win top places in certain competitions because they are considered to have enhanced national prestige.

Those exempted are released from the military after taking three weeks of basic training. But they are required to perform 544 hours of volunteer work and serve in their respective professional fields for 34 months.

Story continues below advertisement

Some politicians and others have called for expanding the scope of exemptions to include K-pop stars such as BTS because they have elevated South Korea’s international image significantly as well.

A private survey earlier this year showed about 60% of respondents supported military exemption for BTS members. But another private survey in 2020 showed 46% backed exemptions while 48% opposed them.

© 2022 The Canadian Press


Entertainment

Read Now: Bill Cosby faces new lawsuit from woman who claims he assaulted her in 1969 – 101 Latest News

Published

on

Bill Cosby faces new lawsuit from woman who claims he assaulted her in 1969

#Bill #Cosby #faces #lawsuit #woman #claims #assaulted

A former Playboy model who alleges Bill Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her and another woman at his home in 1969 sued him Thursday under a new California law that suspends the statute of limitations on sex abuse claims.

In her lawsuit, Victoria Valentino, 80, says she was an actress and singer 54 years ago, when she met Cosby, now 85. The comedian and actor later approached her at a Los Angeles cafe, where he spotted her crying over the recent drowning death of her 6-year-old son.

The Associated Press does not identify people who say they have been sexually assaulted unless they come forward publicly.

Cosby offered to pay for a spa treatment for Valentino and a friend, and then sent a chauffeured car to pick the women up for dinner. That evening at a steakhouse, Cosby gave them each a pill, she said in the court filing.

Story continues below advertisement

“Here! Take this!” the lawsuit alleges Cosby said to them. “It will make you feel better. It will make us ALL feel better.”


Click to play video: 'Bill Cosby’s sex assault conviction overturned by Pennsylvania Supreme Court'


Bill Cosby’s sex assault conviction overturned by Pennsylvania Supreme Court


Cosby then drove the women to his house, where Valentino passed out on a couch, and later woke up and witnessed him sexually assaulting her unnamed friend, according to the lawsuit. The court documents allege Cosby then “engaged in forced sexual intercourse” with Valentino while she was incapacitated from the drug.

Valentino’s allegations come on the heels of lawsuits last year by six Cosby accusers in New York under a similar provision known as a “lookback” law that allows adults to file sexual abuse cases for allegations that had fallen outside the statute of limitations.

The former “Cosby Show” star, who has been accused of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment by at least 60 women, has denied all allegations involving sex crimes. He was the first celebrity tried and convicted in the #MeToo era — and spent nearly three years at a state prison near Philadelphia before a higher court threw out the conviction and released him in 2021.

Story continues below advertisement

His spokesperson, Andrew Wyatt, said Thursday that Valentino’s lawsuit lacks “any proof or facts” and that so-called lookback laws violate constitutional rights aimed at protecting crime victims and “those that are accused of a crime.”

“What graveyard can Mr. Cosby visit, in order to dig up potential witnesses to testify on his behalf?” Wyatt asked in a statement. “America is continuing to see that this is a formula to make sure that no more Black Men in America accumulate the American Dream that was secured by Mr. Cosby.”


Click to play video: 'Bill Cosby says he’ll never show remorse to please parole board'


Bill Cosby says he’ll never show remorse to please parole board


The lawsuit in LA County Superior Court was filed nearly two years after Cosby left prison when the Pennsylvania Supreme Court overturned his 2018 sexual assault conviction. They found he gave incriminating testimony in a deposition about the encounter only after believing he had immunity from prosecution. The trial judge and an intermediate appeals court had found no evidence of such immunity.

Story continues below advertisement

Earlier this year, a Los Angeles jury awarded $500,000 to a woman who said Cosby sexually abused her at the Playboy Mansion when she was a teenager in 1975.

Seven other accusers received a settlement from Cosby’s insurers in the wake of the Pennsylvania conviction over a defamation lawsuit they had filed in Massachusetts. Their lawsuit said that Cosby and his agents disparaged them in denying their allegations of abuse.

Valentino’s lawsuit requests a jury trial and seeks unspecified punitive damages.

&copy 2023 The Canadian Press


Continue Reading

Entertainment

Read Now: "She Was So Rude, My Family Is No Longer Allowed To Listen To Her Music": 34 Of The Absolute Best And Worst Celebrities People Have Ever Met – 101 Latest News

Published

on

"She Was So Rude, My Family Is No Longer Allowed To Listen To Her Music": 34 Of The Absolute Best And Worst Celebrities People Have Ever Met

#quotShe #Rude #Family #Longer #Allowed #Listen #Musicquot #Absolute #Worst #Celebrities #People #Met

10.

ABSOLUTE DREAM: “My story is that I was actually horrible to a celebrity. In the ’70s, I was obsessed with Donny and Marie. They were playing at our state fair that year. My dad tried to get tickets, but it was sold out. He took us to the fair anyway. A few times we could hear the music, which infuriated me at 7 years old. When we were leaving, my dad had to stop the car because there was a big crowd of people. As they cleared to let us through, two people popped their heads in the car window to apologize. It was Donny and Marie. I refused to believe it was really them, and I told Marie, ‘You’re not Marie. She’s a lot prettier than you.’ My family was horrified.”

“Marie laughed it off. Then, she smiled that famous smile and I said, ‘It IS you! You are the prettiest woman in the world.’ She said, ‘Well that makes up for your first comment.’ They apologized again for the crowd blocking the road, got on their tour bus, and left. I got grounded for two weeks. Sorry, Marie.”

—mrrobinson23

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Read Now: Kim Cattrall Joins And Just Like That Amid Feud Rumors – 101 Latest News

Published

on

Kim Cattrall Joins And Just Like That Amid Feud Rumors

#Kim #Cattrall #Joins #Feud #Rumors

And then there were also rumors of a fallout between Cattrall and Parker, who has denied that the two are in a feud.

“There is not a ‘fight’ going on,” Parker, 58, told The Hollywood Reporter’s Awards Chatter podcast last June. “There has been no public dispute or spat or conversations or allegations made by me or anybody on my behalf.”

While Cattrall was absent for AJLT‘s first season, writers kept her character in the show through text exchanges with her now-estranged friend Carrie Bradshaw (Parker). In the season one finale, Carrie reached out to Samantha, who now lives in London, to meet up.

“It’s odd, isn’t it?” Cattrall told Variety of the writers’ decision to keep Samantha in the storyline. “I don’t know how to feel about it.”

And Just Like That… returns to Max on June 22. For now, keep reading for more details about the second season.

Continue Reading

Latest